The perfect recipe for leftover turkey, this warm & delicious soup will be a keeper for your crew and can be thrown together in just a few minutes!
This is seriously an easy quick weeknight dinner, (or any day dinner for that matter!) This soup is absolutely a crowd pleaser, is super healthy and quick! Need I say more?! Warm, and delicious, this is a fail-proof recipe! Talk about the perfect comfort food for fall and winter! Just to be clear, I’ve been cooking a long time and I’m not super great at measuring and I don’t want you to be either. Cooking should be fun. The more you do it, the more comfortable you’ll get with ‘a dash of this’ and a ‘pinch’ of that. Take my measurements with a grain of salt, and adjust to your liking. Get it? Grain of salt? Sorry about that. Anywho, let’s get on with it. 😉
This recipe will feed a crowd! A family of 5 can eat from this and have some leftovers. (We live on leftovers over here ya’ll.) The prep should take you about 15 min and simmer for 15 so pot to table, 30 min roughly. Who’s hungry? Ok let’s do this.
Here’s what you’ll need!
- Some leftover Turkey (Whatever you have! Roughly 2 cups)
- Turkey OR chicken broth- 2 large cartons
- 2 cans of black beans or white beans
- 1- 14 oz (reg sized) can of tomatoes (petite diced is great but any will work)
- 2 tsp minced garlic ( I like the jar of pre-minced you keep in your fridge)
- 1 small bag of frozen corn
- 1 small can of green chiles
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 TBS minced Onion- I use dehydrated/dried for this recipe
- Shredded cheese – any kind works but we prefer a Mexican blend
- OPTIONAL: Sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado, & lime wedges.
- Use a large dutch oven or stock pot and add your broth.
- Turn temp to med-high
- Add your turkey- make sure it’s chopped up to bite size or shredded
- Add the garlic and tomatoes
- Add in about half the can of green chiles (This makes a MILD soup, add more depending on how brave your family is!)
- Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the 2 cans of beans and cumin, let simmer another 5 or so.
- Mix in frozen corn.
- After it simmers a few minutes, taste it and salt accordingly. I like to add a splash of lime in the end!
- Serve it up in bowls and garnish with cheese and avacado. Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips! The rest will keep in your fridge for about a week.
Some side notes: This recipe contains Liquid Smoke, you don’t have to use it but it will add a smokey awesome-ness to it and I consider it one of my secret ingredients in many recipes! If you like less meat you can add only half of what this calls for and it will be just as good!
We hope you LOVE this easy recipe for your leftover turkey, it’s one we’ve tinkered with and have enjoyed for years! We are sure you will add it to your list of favorites! Let us know how you like it! Happy eating, ya’ll!